Thursday, June 26, 2008

Who ARE These People?

Seriously.

I work on the 34th floor of a skyscraper in Chicago, and I have a beautiful view from my window. I can see Navy Pier, and I can see Lake Michigan. When it’s winter and cold and snowy, the lake looks like a frozen tundra and I’m happy I’m in my office, even if I am working.

However, when the weather heats up…. Jealousy, annoyance, curiosity and other things rear their head. You see, when it’s 85 degrees out, like it is today, the frozen tundra becomes a summer wonderland. I see little sailboats, bigger motor boats, people laying on the beach, people waterskiing, people jet-skiing, people wading in the water, Frisbees, rafts, the giant Ferris wheel on Navy Pier spinning ever so slowly while people filled with glee sit inside its little cars.

And it’s 2:30 in the afternoon.

Who are these people, and how come they get to be outside when I have to work?? Are they on vacation? Did they call in sick today? Are they independently wealthy? Are they trust-fund babies? Do they own their own law firm and are making the minions work while they yacht away on Lake Michigan? Did they make a killing at the Chicago Stock Exchange this morning and declare early retirement? Why don’t they have to work? Why can’t I be with them? When is my ship coming in? And when can I start taking it on tours around the lake in the middle of the afternoon?

I’m being petty, I know. I should be glad I have a job. Maybe the people are out there because they don’t have one (although I’m not sure how they’re affording a boat in that case…). But, really, it’s enough to make a girl close her blinds—almost. Because in the end, I guess it’s better to dream that one day I may be able to join the summer wonderland at 2:30 in the afternoon, than to not know such a place even exists.

As always, more to come…

No comments: