Friday, April 4, 2008

First off...

First off, why call it “the diabetes”? It’s a joke, if you will. I’ve heard people, mostly the older generation, or those who don’t really know about it, call what I have “the diabetes.” I suppose it’s no different from saying, “I’m going to the market,” as opposed to, “I’m going to market,” but for some reason, it strikes me funny. And if I can’t find humor in being diabetic where I can take it, then what good is sticking needles into my body every day? (No shock value intended.)

So why blog about it, when there are already people blogging in the diabetic world? Because they’re not me, and they don’t share my experiences. While I have the same worries and concerns as a lot of other people with diabetes, I’m also very in control of mine. I’m very (put that in capital letters, italicize it, bold it, surround it with a bevy of exclamation points) in control. I make myself be in control. Numbers are everything in my world (ironic, since I consistently failed math in elementary school) and I let them rule my actions quite frequently.

Not diabetic? Diabetic and don’t know all the details of my life? I’ll post another blog shortly that explains the ins-and-outs of what those numbers are and how they affect what I also refer to as “the dreaded disease,” (yet more strange humor). If you already know, then you can skip it and just read everything else. I hate to bore others with numbers when they don’t need it (I only wish my teachers had given me the same option. Seriously, I don’t use algebra in my daily life.)

As always, more to come…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU! YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!