Monday, October 5, 2009

Test Results

Finally! Had the endo appointment last Wednesday and my test results finally came in today.

I really like my new endocrinologist. She didn’t think any of my questions were stupid and didn’t even pause or look at me funny when I asked them. She just gave me the answers.

And every time I see her, I learn something new. For instance, she was able to look at my records, figure out an average number of units a day, then twist them into a specific calculation to come up with the formula that one unit of Novolog will most likely drop me 50 numbers on the meter. It’s not a “works-every-time” type of thing, I’m sure, but at least there’s something concrete there to work with. (And for those of you who might be saying, ‘duh,’ I have never, in three endocrinologists, heard any of this information before.)

She also tested my Vitamin D level. I told her I fractured my toe this summer and she questioned me a little more on that. I also told her my mom was being treated for osteoporosis. She said diabetics are more prone to fracture, and with the osteo thing, she wanted to make sure my Vitamin D levels were where they should be. Turns out they’re not, and I need to take a supplement. (Side note: This makes me feel a little old. I’m sure if I were 23 or even 30, this subject might not have come up. But I’m turning 41 this month, and I’m finding that some of my medical situations have to do just as much with age as with diabetes. Ack.)

TSH levels (thyroid-related) are too high, which means I’m taking too much medication, so she’s dropping my prescription down a notch. I’m a little worried about this, as this could mean a drop in energy level and an increase in weight. (Double Ack.) But I’ll go with it for about a month and if I don’t like it, I’ll let her know and maybe we can hit a compromise. As long as my heart doesn’t feel like it’s going to burst (most important and biggest side effect from too much meds—potential heart attack), I think there’s room to maneuver a happy outcome for everyone.

My A1C is up, but only a tiny bit, for which I am very grateful. I’m at 5.5%, which is definitely reason to celebrate. It means I’m getting the hang of the Novolog, despite the times I thought/think I’m really f’ing things up.

Oh, and for everyone who wants to shout “honeymoon” period at me, you may now feel free to do so without my wrath emerging. The endo told me that when you’re diagnosed with diabetes as a child, your honeymoon period usually lasts a year, maybe two. When you’re diagnosed as an adult, as I was, it’s possible to have a honeymoon period that lasts up to ten years, although not typically. So, six years and some odd months in, it is technically and medically possible for me to still be honeymooning a bit. Yes, I do try really hard to do all the right things with diabetes, and I bust my butt with calculations and carb counting and dreaded aerobic activity, and I think that my good A1C is the result of that. But if some part is due to a little side trip to honeymoonland, I’ll certainly take it—for as long as my body gives it to me.

As always, more to come…

5 comments:

Crystal said...

I need to take a Vitamin D supplement. I am 31. We can "feel" old together.

Great news all around. Hooray for an awesome Endo! One day at a time.

Amazing A1c!!!!! Believe me, I just got mine today. Amazing.

Keep up the Great work!

phonelady said...

wow at least she found out that you are taking unneeded meds and that is a good thing . I am glad you found a dr that you like that is so hard now adays . thanks for sharing and posting . sending a big hug your way .

Anonymous said...

Good news!! I've got my endo appt in two weeks and I hope it's as good as yours :-)

Amalas said...

I had to take a crash course of Vitamin D to get my levels up too, and I'm only 24! Great A1c. Hard work really does pay off. =)

Jonah said...

In children, a year or two is a generous honeymoon- average is about one month per year of age at dx, and only 3/4 have a honeymoon.

I had no honeymoon at all. They explained to me in the hospital that I was going to have one and when I didn't, I was pretty disappointed.

But congrats on the confirmation that your efforts are paying off.

But I want to say that the vitamin D deficiency is fairly common even in younger people with autoimmune diabetes- something like 1 in 4 has some degree of vitamin D deficiency according to the studies I've read. Kind of makes me wonder why I haven't been tested for it.

Also, hyperthyroidism increases risk of fracture if it's severe enough, or if it's caused by something that also affects the parathyroids (little bitty glands on top of the thyroids that primarily affect bone turnover rate).