Cara over at “Every Day Every Hour Every Minute” had the fun and brilliant idea for a get-to-know-me experiment. She was listening to music on shuffle and wrote down the first 20 songs that came up. The idea caught on and for the last couple of days, I’ve been sneaking around everyone’s iPods and getting a kick out of what all the bloggers out there have been ear-worming. Just because I like to be part of the group and feel it’s only fair for you to jump into my shuffle as well, here’s my list…
1. Edge of Seventeen, Steve Nicks – Stevie. What more does a girl have to say?
2. Bliss, Alice Peacock featuring John Mayer – I listen to and like this song despite the fact that John Mayer sings on this. I believe (or I like to think) it was before his head got big and his dates became public knowledge.
3. London Bridge, Fergie – She swears a lot in this song. I swear a lot, too. But I don’t like it because of that, I like it because I can dance around my kitchen to it.
4. I Only Want To Be With You, Dusty Springfield – A classic. Also the song my husband and I danced to at our wedding.
5. I Heard It Through The Grapevine, Marvin Gaye – I love me some Motown.
6. That’s What I Think, Cyndi Lauper – Cyndi is often underrated. This is one of her songs that goes beyond Girls Wanna Have Fun (although I love that song, too).
7. Missing You, John Waite – This has been one of my all-time favorites since high school. It gets me *right here.*
8. Time To Pretend, MGMT – If you’ve seen the movie 21, you’ve heard this song. You’ll probably go, “A-ha!” when you hear it.
9. Even Angels Fall, Jessica Riddle – Just a nice song. Especially when riding on the CTA bus.
10. A Thousand Miles, Vanessa Carlton – I like this song, then my niece did a lip-sync of it on You Tube and I like it even more.
11. In My Life, Chantal Kreviazuk – I love this song when just about anybody sings it, but this one is really sweet.
12. All I Want, Lightening Seeds – If you’ve never listened to a Lightening Seeds song, you should try this one. I don’t even know if he’s still around…
13. Superfabulous, Bt – Great song to hula-hoop to.
14. Detective, No Doubt – Not necessarily my favorite Gwen song, but it’ll do.
15. Dream A Little Dream Of Me, Mamas & Papas - Mama Cass sings it like no one else does.
16. Lost In You, Rod Stewart – I’ve had a thing for Rod since way back when. I’ve seen him in concert twice. I was born too late to be a true groupie, but I would have loved to hang with him in his heyday.
17. I Touch Roses, Book Of Love – This has been in my music library for so long, I had to look up who sang it. How could I have forgotten Book Of Love from my college days???
18. Got It Good, Jem – I love her. This is from her second album. Her first was awesome.
19. Mine All Mine, SheDaisy – Country music isn’t my first love, but I find myself liking more and more of it. I dig almost every song on this album.
20. Here It Comes, Longwave – Huge Veronica Mars fan and the show had awesome music. That’s where I first heard this one.
Some of these seem obscure when I look back, but I should also admit to having BOC (Blue Oyster Cult), Hilary Duff, Def Leppard, The Cure and a whole lotta ‘80s music on my iPod. It just didn’t happen to come up in this random shuffle. Maybe next time.
As always, more to come (don’t fear the reaper)…