I’ve been tagged by Laura at Diabetic In Calgary, and it’s my very first tag, so I’m going to go ahead and do it. And, no, to all my friends and family who keep sending me chain e-mails, this is not the same thing and I’m not going to start forwarding doom messages to 20 people I know… Here are ten quirky or interesting things about me….
1. When I blog, I write everything out in Word first, then cut and paste into my blog. A) Because I usually type at work and I want my boss to think I’m working on something work-related and B) Because I prefer typing on my blue screen.
2. I’ve given myself an insulin shot in the middle of a busy subway station in Tokyo, Japan. My husband stood watch while I set up on a shelf next to the ticket machines. It was my first international trip after I was diagnosed with diabetes and although I was scared to death to be in a foreign country where I couldn’t speak or read the language, I was also determined that I wasn’t going to let diabetes stop me from doing what I wanted to do. In a way, it gave me a little more courage to go a little further…
3. I read catalogs while eating breakfast. I save them all up (Levenger, L.L. Bean, Travelsmith, Lillian Vernon, Sur La Table, you name it) and read them while I eat breakfast. I’m a compulsive reader and catalogs are the only thing I can stop reading when I’m in the middle. If I tried a magazine or a book, I’d always be late for work.
4. I once spent the day at a nudist colony. I’ll leave that one right where it is.
5. I don’t do caffeine. I was on some temporary prescription about four or five years ago that prohibited it and when I got off the Rx, I just kept going. I don’t miss it, but it’s hard to find restaurants that carry diet and caffeine-free pop. I drink a lot of club soda when I’m out. Or Belevedere martinis—straight up and dirty with three blue cheese olives.
6. I’ve stood inside a pyramid. In Egypt. (I also rode a camel in the desert.)
7. I have two “big” ones coming up this year. In July, it will be my five-year anniversary of being diagnosed with diabetes; I haven’t decided what to do to commemorate it yet, but I’ll think of something. In October, I’ll turn 40; I’m going to France and will be having an incredibly expensive bottle of wine in Bordeaux (dollar conversion be damned).
8. While many would disagree, I think Katharine Hepburn is way cooler than Audrey Hepburn. (I do like Audrey, but Katharine!)
9. I grew up a picky eater and since I’ve hit “adulthood” (somewhere in my 30s), I’ve tried to introduce one new food into my repertoire each year. I’ve gotten myself to like yogurt, mushrooms, onions, Brussels sprouts and a variety of other food. In fact, I’m rather addicted to mushrooms these days (and they’re carb-free!).
10. I love baking, reading, being a cool aunt, licorice tea, the first snow (as long as I’m already home), the first great spring day after too much snow, balancing my checkbook, cheese of almost any kind, the 45-second adrenaline rush after a great interview at work, when my husband sings songs to the dogs, my very cool sewing machine that I splurged on, browsing Zappos shoe site, grocery shopping and sitting in the living room, surrounded by dogs and my husband, watching TV all day long.
That’s it. I’m supposed to tag somebody else, but I’m pretty new to the blog community so I don’t really know anyone I can tag who hasn’t already done this meme. But if you happen to read this and want to give it a go, consider yourself tagged.
As always, more to come…. (I got my HbA1c results…)