Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Again

I'm losing my hair. While I wish that was figuratively speaking, because the metaphors I could roll around in the hay with are so seductive, I mean that literally.

I did what every red-blooded girl with a centimeter of vanity would do and I Google'd my loss, expecting to find article after article backing my suspicion that I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled and perimenopause is to blame. But the universe likes to test my limits and just generally fuck with my mind and the first link I clicked on stuck a dart in diabetes, saying this annoying little condition of mine can affect hormones and cause my tresses distress.

Based on other symptoms, I'm still inclined to believe I'm headed into perimenopause territory. But why did Google have to go and do that? Why can't I, just once, have some sort of mental, physical or emotional condition that can't be tied to diabetes? It's not even a pretty word, diabetes. It has no elegance or grace. But evidently, it has a list of side effects that is never-ending.

4 comments:

Jonah said...

Diabetes causes hair loss only with way higher blood sugars than yours. My hair thinned really dramatically before I was diagnosed... with an A1c around 17%.
I would in your case guess thyroid hormone imbalance, which causes hair loss. I had thinning hair for a second time when I was thyrotoxic.
The other diabetes related thing that causes hairless is a separate autoimmune condition called alopecia areata.

Anonymous said...

Know the feeling. Starting about two years ago my very thick very long hair started thinning. I start cutting it shorter to reduce stress from drying and styling. From shoulder length to chin length and now even shorter.

The good news is that it's gotten thicker again and I don't have to spend a lot of time drying and styling.

But I do miss my long hair.

Crystal said...

I SO agree. I've looked up a slew of stuff --> Diabetes. I've told Doctors "the easiest excuse when symptoms don't Obviously point to something and a person has Diabetes, the answer is Diabetes..."
Sadly, they agreed.

Diabetes is a blowtard.

wv: berst
I Berst when I read your post!

Anonymous said...

I started experiencing hair loss a few years ago, long before being diagnosed with Type 2. Saw a dermatologist who said it was, indeed, due to menopause. (I had early menopause due to a hysterectomy.) One thing she recommended was large doses of biotin - I take 1000 mg a day - and actually have new growth. It's not fast, in fact, it took months to start, but it is working.