Monday, May 4, 2009

My Education

Having been on the NovoLog for a full two weeks now, I’m in various stages of learning how to dose for certain foods and the like. Luckily, I already know how to carb count and I’m pretty good at it. That helps a ton. If I had to learn how to dose and carb count at the same time, I think I’d be in tears.

Things I think I’ve figured out:
Bread. I have officially begun eating real sandwiches, with real bread. A whole two carb units! I’m so excited. Something real to support my turkey and swiss, finally!

Jay’s Pizza. My husband makes an awesome homemade pizza crust that he grills. It’s really good. And he made it this past weekend. And I didn’t skyrocket bang-zoom to the moon.

Things I’m still working on:
Pasta. Always a little tricky, but I didn’t do so bad the one time I ate it. I think I can do some adjusting and eventually get it right.

Morning vs. Afternoon vs. Dinner. I’ve always run lower in the morning and higher at night. It’s taking some time to figure out how to incorporate what I know about Lora-on-Lantus-only with Lora-on-Lantus-and-NovoLog. The time of day and how it effects me is one of those things.

Things I suck at so far:
Ice cream. I scream. I can’t get this right. And it’s summer. And I love ice cream. And I must be able to figure this out. If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.

Remembering the shot. Duh. At least three times I’ve been in mid-chew and done an Oh, sh*t. Gotta get that routine ingrained in my head.

Things I’m afraid to try yet:
Bagels. My arch nemesis. The one thing I’ve never been able to handle. A bagel in the morning pre NovoLog meant nothing else to eat for the entire day. They scare me.

Exercise. I have yet to jump on the treadmill for actual exercise, although I can already tell this is going to be a sticky wicket. I did some heavy-duty raking and gardening this weekend and watched my numbers do a dance. I can only imagine what 45 minutes on the treadmill will do. Must tread lightly (hah! tread!).

Things I don’t care about:
Shooting in public. I even hiked my dress up to shoot in the stomach at a Potbelly’s. (Okay. I was in a corner and I had tights on. No one saw a thing. But if they did? So what.)

High numbers. I do care, but I’m not freaking out. My endo told me the numbers would be off for a while, and not to worry about them so much. So I’m not. I’m only caring enough to fit them in as pieces of my puzzle.

Things I do care about:
Bruising. I’m a bruiser. Always have been, always will be. Shooting the Lantus would give me the occasional bruise, but I could generally avoid it with doing only one shot a day. Now that I’m shooting 4-5 times a day, it’s harder to avoid getting bruised, and harder to find prime real estate to shoot in. I’m experimenting with different-sized needles in different body parts, but I still look like a pin-cushion. With nickel-sized purple spots (with a tinge of yellow).

Things I didn’t expect:
More needles. If I’m giving myself more shots each day, it only stands to reason that I would need more pen needles. Despite this obvious deduction, I was surprised when my supply started dwindling at an alarming rate. I’ve since re-stocked with the appropriate amounts and gotten a better grip on this portion of reality.

Things I’d like to learn:
Coordination. So shooting my saddle bags would be easier. And I could attempt to shoot in the back of my arm. Long live dreams…

As always, more to come (because there’s always something more to learn)…

6 comments:

Crystal said...

Yes, always more to learn.

Sounds like you are doing great tho! Keep the good work.

Good luck with ice cream.

I'm still looking for a good combo bolus for pizza. I hardly eat ice cream or pasta. Mashed potatoes are less harsh on my bt then baked. And oh, you got me thinking about bagels. Yum.

Karen said...

Wow, it's been so long for me, it's almost hard to remember how overwhelming it all is at first. Although when I started pumping after 28+ years of injections, it did give me a taste of learning everything all over.

I guess my best advice is just keep going with the trial and error. And take notes on what worked, what didn't, and what to try for next time. Before you know it, you will be a pro!!

PS: Bagels still always spike me too. :(

meanderings said...

First an answer - Yes, they're blooming and they're gorgeous and they smell wonderful. (daffodils)

Yay for you! - I may be in the same spot soon - I'll have to learn from you.

Windy said...

Thank you so much for your kind words on my blog!!! (P.S. I have had diabetes for 21 years and still haven't figured out bagels! Yet I LOOOOOOVE them!!!)

It's always nice to know you are not alone in your struggles, because sometimes it feels that way, but the diabetes OC always comes through and connects those who can relate, of which I am so thankful!

My doc appt went really well. He drew a LOT of blood and said we would talk next week about the results and about possibly finding a medication other than Synthroid that would make me feel better. =) Always nice when your doc listens to your concerns. Take care!!

This Ro(a)mantic Life said...

Yes, any increase in activity beyond my usual routine makes me nervous because I tend to go low really fast (and I'm not on any meds). I can imagine the "dance" you're describing from the yard work. Maybe try the treadmill in small increments so you can see how your body reacts, then extend the time a little more as you get used to gauging what to do?

Lora said...

Thank you all for the advice! And I'm glad to see I'm not alone in the bagel department.

Cal, I've been experimenting with potatoes,and so far so good. I haven't tried baked yet, though...

Karen, trial and error it is! (Although it seems like more error...)

Colleen, so glad they're blooming! Can't wait to plant my summer flowers. Spring flowers in Chicago don't work, although I have a couple of raggedy tulips that are still hanging in there.

Windy, you're welcome! And I'm glad your doc is looking into something that will work for you. I remember having a LOT of blood drawn each month for a very long time until they got things figured out. But they did figure them out.

CT, good idea. Duh. Should have thought about the increments. I'm all set to go full-force and really, the 15 minutes at a time thing seems much easier to manage.

I really appreciate all your comments!

Lora