Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I Like Them A Lot

I craved peanut butter this weekend. When I crave peanut butter, I have two choices: I can either eat peanut butter, or I can eat everything else in sight first, trying to avoid the peanut butter, then eat the peanut butter anyway. I chose to cut out the middleman (by the way, highly amusing show on ABC Family channel, The Middleman) and just go with the peanut butter right away.

I could have just had a spoonful, but that wasn’t the peanut butter I was craving. I wanted sweet peanut butter. I went with peanut butter Rice Krispie treats (yes, I made them with brand-name Rice Krispies, so I’m allowed to use the name here without fear of copyright infringement).

These are good. I like them a lot. Unfortunately, my husband is not so fond of them, so I wind up eating them all myself.

I eat them for breakfast after I exercise (it’s cereal, right?), then I eat one for lunch, then I eat a couple for dinner and go with non-carb real food for the rest of my meal. Last night I ate feta cheese and olives, then tuna mixed with Neufchatel in half a yellow pepper—and about five peanut butter Rice Krispie treats. I knew I had gone too far when I hit the third one, but just kept going, half hoping to make myself sick on them so I’d throw the rest of the container away (didn’t work). To completely avoid sugar/carb overload, I jumped on my trampoline during the commercials while I watched The Closer.

When I went to bed last night, I was 136. This is not a completely accurate number. I had just finished my last round on the trampoline, so I knew my sugar would go lower. It also hadn’t been a full two hours after my last peanut butter Rice Krispie treat, so I knew my sugar would go higher. I figured I let my body duke itself out during the night. It must’ve worked, because when I woke up, I was 86. A good number, a normal number for my morning reading.

I only have about six more peanut butter Rice Krispie treats left (I keep them in the fridge; they’re very good when they’re cold and I like them a lot. Did I mention that?), and I’m going to try to use my willpower and only eat two tonight. This may take some pro-active activity on my part; I may have to call the husband before I get home from work and have him hide the container. And, if my day goes well and is fairly annoyance and stress-free, I may just leave the container hid. If it goes badly, I may have to use the water-squirter attachment on my kitchen sink as a form of torture so he tells me where he hid the peanut butter Rice Krispie treats. (I’m still working on that whole “comfort eating” issue…).

As always, more to come (but only two more peanut butter Rice Krispie treats tonight)…

No comments: